Thursday, November 5, 2015

My Top 100, No. 92: "Bulls on Parade" by Rage Against the Machine

I've got kind of a love/hate relationship with Rage Against the Machine. Rage is much harder (i.e. loud and not particularly melodic) than I usually like, but I find their music as energizing as I find their particular brand of extremely self-serious late-90s anarchism to be cute.

On the other hand, one of the few cures for writer's block I'm aware of is tossing on RATM's greatest hits and going to town.

"Bulls on Parade" wasn't even my favorite Rage song for a long time--"Sleep Now in the Fire" had a better hook and a great lyrical moment ("I'm deep inside your children / They'll betray you in my name") that "Bulls on Parade" couldn't match. But I got to know this song better when my college band covered it. This is one of two songs on the Top 100 that we covered, and while I usually sang lead vocals, I played guitar on "Bulls on Parade" while our lead guitarist sang. This offered me two particular insights into the song. First: That Tom Morello wasn't as great a guitarist as I'd thought, because I was able to pull off his part despite being terrible. Second: That this song invites you to really bounce off the walls in a way that "Sleep Now in the Fire" doesn't.
And that's the best part about "Bulls on Parade." Like, if you're going to call your song "Bulls on Parade," it had better sound like what it purports to be, and this song does. It's slow and heavy and menacing and sounds more like its title than any other song on this list.
It's not complicated, and it rocks. And I therefore do not have any complicated thoughts on it, other than to say it rocks.