Thursday, November 19, 2015

My Top 100, No. 68: "MoneyGrabber" by Fitz and The Tantrums

I listened to Fitz and The Tantrums' other big hit, "The Walker," about 40 times a day involuntarily when MLB decided to make it the playoff theme song one year.


"MoneyGrabber," however, I listened to about 40 times a day on my own, because it wasn't enough just to dance around campus whistling the chorus--I needed to hear the whole thing over and over and over.
I remember hearing "MoneyGrabber" for the first time in a coffee shop and busting out Shazam, thinking that this was some...I don't know exactly what I thought it was, maybe some Jimmy Ruffin B-side or a Rolling Stones deep cut that I'd just missed somehow? That turns out to be on purpose, because Fitz and The Tantrums have a very cultivated Motown sound--particularly on "Picking Up the Pieces"--that's intentionally a throwback to that era.
Nevertheless, beyond my shock that someone was still making music like this in the year 2010 or whatever, it'd never occurred to me that a modern band would've written this song because how does a chorus like that get left on the shelf for 50 years after we figured out how to make that kind of music? We discovered Motown ages ago, and humanity wasted all that time making music that wasn't this, when we could've been making this? It's insane.
Hey, and look, there's a bigass bari sax part in this song too. Maybe I'll just listen to anything that has a bari sax in it. 
In order to explain "MoneyGrabber" I have to go back to my church growing up. It was big on music, and the congregation tended to clap along during particularly peppy songs, but only on the first and third beats of every measure. Which didn't strike me as weird until the pastor sent my confirmation class on a field trip; we all went one Sunday to a predominantly African-American church that was run by a friend of his from seminary, and they all clapped on two and four. And it was just so much better than clapping one and three. 
"MoneyGrabber" is very much a clapping on two and four song, and that, above all else, is what makes it great.