Thursday, December 3, 2015

My Top 100, No. 44: "Islands in the Stream" by Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers

One thing I regret about being late to country music is that I spent far too long thinking Dolly Parton was a figure of ridicule. This was a mistake, and I regret it immensely.


"Islands in the Stream" is by far my favorite Dolly Parton song, and it giving it another full listen in preparation for writing about it, I've developed no conscious thoughts about it. I've just been smiling like a moron for four minutes.
First, let's get something out of the way. Duets are great. Particularly duets where two people trade off verses and come together in glorious harmony for the choruses, all in service of song that's about fucking each other. So much the better when the two people involved are country music legends.
Because there's nothing really revolutionary about this song otherwise. It's got the same repeated-rhythm-for-different-melodies bit that I've talked about before, but not a whole lot else sets it apart.
Nevertheless, this is my favorite guy/girl karaoke duet of all time. Better than "Come What May" from Moulin Rouge, if such a thing is possible. 
And judging by the number and quality of derivative works, I'm not the only one who feels this way. There's the sleepy, sensual cover by Feist and the Constantines and the chorus hook from "Ghetto Superstar," just to name two. 
(Two thoughts: 1) Whatever happened to Mya? She was everywhere for like three years and then she just dropped off the face of the Earth in 2001 or so. I liked Mya. We should bring her back. 2) I saw Bulworth for the first time a couple months ago and someone needs to tell me how to feel about that movie. Like, is it an incredible piece of satire and Warren Beatty's last masterpiece, or was it just a weird idea that fell flat and was kind of racist?)
Anyway, this is an open invitation to come sing "Islands in the Stream" with me at any karaoke bar in North America, because duets are great, and this is a great duet.