Thursday, December 10, 2015

My Top 100, No. 34: "Accident" by Rachael Yamagata

I've got a playlist on my Spotify that comprises nothing but music by female vocalists whose voices make my hair stand on end.


On that playlist is a song called "Duet" by Rachael Yamagata and Ray LaMontagne, which is another one of those great romantic duets in the vein of "After All" and "Islands in the Stream," but the first verse of this one is the closest you'll come to feeling hot breath on your neck without anyone actually breathing on you. 
That song is not on this list, because beautiful and borderline erotic though it might be, it is not "Accident," which is a goddamn banger.
"Accident" starts off by putting you on a horse, then slapping that horse on the ass so it starts running away and you just have to hang on for dear life, until it gets to the chorus and the horse tosses you off its back and onto a moving train. 
I've listened to "Accident" hundreds of times and I have not come close to comprehending it in any meaningful way because I've spent so much of my energy concentrating on just trying not to fall off the back. 
I just gave "Accident" another listen to try to figure out what it's about and once again, no dice. It's just a big, sloshing bucket of distilled aggression carried by a woman with a voice such as will get you pregnant. I have nothing further to say on the subject.